"Never fear the want of business — a man who qualifies
himself well for his calling never fails of employment."
—(Thomas Jefferson). The business face of Nashwauk has
changed considerably since 1903. Buildings on Central Avenue
and First Street erected in the early days have seen
businesses come and go. Many of these have been flourishing
businesses with their owners retiring or making room for new
to come in. Some, because of hard times, went out of
business, or some because of competition in other area towns
simply could not compete. All have placed their notch in the
history of our business world; giving way to the peril of
wars, depression, fires, and as our theme dictates, timber
to taconite. Remember the blacksmith shop, dray lines,
bakeries, livery barns and feed store? How about the
Nashwauk Chronicle or Nashwauk's taxi service? There was
Stierna's Jewelry, Mattila's Hardware, Hack and Heino's,
Finn Boarding House, QP Hotel, Unique and Grand Theatres,
the Italian Mercantile Company, Dick's and Sella's, Riley's
Sweet Shop, Gambles, Dry Cleaners, Oreland Cafe, Elanto
Co-op, City Drug, Yetta's, Johnston's Chevrolet, William's
Grocery, and many others too numerous to mention. Remember:
the tally stick has many a notch of businesses past. Arnolds
of "Happy Days" a television serial, perhaps reminds you of
the Gopher Cafe or possibly some other cafe in the history
of Nashwauk. Yes, these businesses of the past served us
well — "memories" — they are with us. Business
establishments today celebrate all the way from 75 years to
the present:time. Automobiles, yellow pages of the telephone
book, catalogue department stores do take us out of town;
but Nashwauk businesses do thrive, representing the various
nationalities, strength and dignity of character and pride
for our town. "I have always recognized that the object of
business is to make money in an honorable manner. I have
endeavored to remember that the object of life is to do
good." — (Richard Cooper).
Sebeka Mercantile Company in 1912. L. to R.:
John Briske, Ed Aho, Roy Johnston, Jim Kresek, Sadie Lund,
Oscar Johnston, Ernest Johnston Hugo Lilja.
Santo Frassini store in 1916 — At left: Mr.Frassini and Mrs.
A. C. (Rose) Buccanero.
An early picture of the Hughes Store building on First
Street. Shows James Hughes and son, Henry.
DePetro Establishment shows the hotel and livery barn. Their
slogan was "Sleigh for hire day or night — all good drivers,
Nick (Dewey) Fragnito and Mae Palmer
operated a business in the former Aimonetti building (next
to the Municipal Liquor Store) in the 1930s.
Micheletti's store located behind First National Bank on
Second Street. Second girl is Gertrude Micheletti and in
back is her mother, Theresa Micheletti.
The Philip Crea Grocery and Confectionery
Store. L. to R.: Gene Crea, Mr. Crea and Mrs. Crea.
Dick's and Sella s Grocery Store in 1924.
Behind counter: Louis Sella, Clifford Dicks, Joe Codute,
delivery man; Mary DeMarco, clerk; others unidentified.
The Zauhar Grocery in 1920s. L. to R.: Steve
Stimac, butcher; John Zauhar, owner, and a salesman in
Mattila Hardware in
1930s. L. to R.: George DeGuiseppi, clerk; Arvid Mattila,
owner; other unidentified.
Elanto Co-op employees in late 1930s. L. to
R.: Joe Simone, Elmer Kettunen, Anna Sumi, Brynolf Kukkonen,
Lauri Koskela, butcher; Ann Botanich, Philip Pascuzzi, Arvid
Salo, manager; Ellen Kari, Erma Laakso, customer at left;
Mrs. Arnie Pickering and Theresa Papatola Wesanto, cashier.
Tydol Station located at 1st Street and
Pearson Avenue, 1933 — Edwin (Finn) Latvala and Joe Codute.
Harry Corwin Sr. in 1952 with his popcorn
wagon. He ran the business for 10 years.
The 0llila Hotel was built in 1909 by Charles
0llila. Before that he conducted a saloon in a building
across the street. He was married to Ali Sophia Pahnila and
they had one son, Reino. Mr. 0llila died in 1909. Mrs.
0llila married John P. Lanto in 1910. The Lantos operated
the hotel until it was sold in 1950 to the Howard Maryland
family. A group of local men had the hotel for a short time
before Mr. and Mrs. Otto Ylonen acquired the building. The
hotel was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Phil Clark in December, 1977.
The Clarks are in the process of completely remodeling the
building into apartments. The name has been changed to the
Latvala Union '76
Station and GTC Auto Parts at rear of building.
Matosich Laundromat and
Car Wash located on First Street.
Nashwauk Hardware has been in existence
Rich's Clothing, located in the old Hughes
Store building on First Street opened for business on June
Stadium Lanes Bowling Alley opened August 18,
Nashwauk Federal Credit Union moved into its
present building on First Street in 1969. Arnold Yuhala is
manager of the Credit Union.
SuperAmerica Station located on the lower
east end of Central Avenue first opened in 1970.
GI Club (American Legion) first opened in
1946 in the basement of the Ollila Hotel. The Club
moved to its present site (former Mattila Hardware) in July,
1975. Cathryn's Coffee Shop is shown at right further up the
Marvin Stalboerger, manager, is shown in front of Williams
Lumber. The business was purchased from John Zardo in 1973.
Stepan's Grocery Store on First Street is owned by Joe and
Dolly Stephan who acquired the business November 1, 1951.