Grand Portage News


11/21/2017 01:19 AM  ~~~Source~~~
Students learn about fur trade 

History came to life Monday for sixth-graders at the public middle school as they learned about the first business in what is today Minnesota. Arn Kind, owner of Historical Experiences, taught students the history of the French fur trade in North America: how it started, how goods were transported and the results of the trade.


11/04/2017 12:36 PM  ~~~Source~~~
Minnesota researcher seeks funds for moose parasite research 

Up to 30 percent of moose are killed by the brainworm parasite, which is transmitted through snails and slugs, The Pioneer Press reported. "It's like they don't have the right roadmap for the moose," said Tiffany Wolf, an assistant professor of veterinary population medicine at the University of Minnesota's College of Veterinary Medicine.


10/29/2017 09:37 PM  ~~~Source~~~
U scientist trying to solve moose mystery: She's crowdfunding to... 

A large bull moose peers over swamp grass in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness near Caribou Lake in June 2009. Tiffany Wolf, assistant professor of veterinary population medicine at the University of Minnesota's College of Veterinary Medicine, is researching how moose acquire brainworm, a fatal parasite.


10/05/2017 12:54 PM  ~~~Source~~~
Fall weekend at parks is full of walks, paddling, birding 

Learn about the Grand Portage Anishinaabe's beliefs about relationships between humans and nature from the Grand Portage Band and community members. Anishinaabe refers to a group of tribes that include Ojibwe bands.


10/04/2017 09:24 PM  ~~~Source~~~
Minn. woman burned down home to 'destroy a bad spirit,' charges say 

A Grand Portage woman burned down her own home in an effort to "destroy a bad spirit," according to charges filed Wednesday. Lori Jean Dahmen, 46, was arrested Tuesday evening after she reportedly used a cigarette lighter to set fire to a bed in the house at 71 Townsite Road.


10/04/2017 04:55 PM  ~~~Source~~~
Grand Portage Woman Accused of Arson 

The fire on Townside Road was reported at 4:50 p.m. Two occupants were home at the time of the fire. No injuries were reported.